The Government of Canada propelled the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to fortify Canada’s capacity to draw in and hold world-class doctoral understudies and build up Canada as a worldwide focal point of greatness in look into and higher learning.
Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Value: $50,000 per year.
Duration: 3 years (non-renewable).
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD level at Canadian universities.
Study Subject(s): Scholarships are provided to study any one of the courses offered by the Canadian universities.
Scholarship Award: Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year.
Scholarship can be taken in Canada.
Eligibility: Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2018 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average, and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Nationality: Canadian and international students can apply for these Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have their previous degree.
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
How to Apply: The mode of applying is online.
Nomination submission deadline: Scholarship application deadline is November 1, 2018.